Saturday, September 23, 2006

Scherrenschnitte

I received a heart from Margreet in Holland, and with it she included a bookmark with some paper cut butterflies. It reminded me that I have not yet posted anything about this craft.

Scherrenschnitte (Scherinschnitte) can be defined as German paper snipping. I have seen many beautiful pieces, although it is not a wide-spread craft. Some people use scissors, and some use small, sharp blades, or Exacto knives. I use small scissors. A friend, Cora, shared it with me many years ago, and as many other crafts, have given away most of the things I did without taking photos. One of my favorites was a set of Columbus ships, the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria. I could kick myself for I don't think the recipient appreciated the work that went into them, and probably tossed them!

Here is a set of rocking chairs that I have displayed in my family room.



And these are a set of Minstrels in my dining room.







2 comments:

Maddie Can Fly said...

LOVE the stack of farm animals. That's always been one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

I'm very interested in learning how to do this. My great grandmother used to do Scherrenschnitte and would make beautiful overlays for her Christmas cards. I, unfortunately never appreciated it fully then. I'm sure she would have taught me how had I showed an interest. Could you perhaps point me to a how to book or resource? Thank you for sharing, Carla Perez cjperez-gtn@charter.net