Saturday, April 26, 2008

Come See Me

It has been a tradition in our southern city of Rock Hill, SC for many years (1962) to have a spring event to Welcome folks to come and learn more about our fair city and expose them to Glencairn Garden which was built in 1960. The festival's mascot is 'Glen the Frog,' who was designed by Vernon Grant of Rice Crispies: Snap, Crackle, and Pop fame. One of the favorite events for my son has always been Gourmet Gardens where local restaurants and some benefit organizations offer tasty selections of great food!

Today was one of my favorite events - the local newspaper, The Herald, has an annual yard sale. This year the proceeds, along with United Way and the Postal Carriers, will "replenish area food pantry stocks...offer nourishment to people less fortunate."

I got a later start than had intended, but it's probably a good thing. I was telling someone earlier that I haven't done any CQ in months, but not stashing more didn't occur to me!

The first thing I found was a box of buttons! Did I need more buttons? NO, but they were just sitting there, and she gave me a discount for buying two bags!!


Then, down under the table, on top of the packing box were some old linens. These are stamped, ready to be embroidered... A couple of the areas had already been started. Don't you just love these 'bib a day' ones?

And these look perfect to make Mom a few trivets. Think I'll put two together with some pretty colored fabric between.
Then I stumbled on these vintage ash trays. They're yellow - depression glass? I remember seeing them when I was a girl.
And then, finally, the biggie. This box full of fabric samples, Braemore and Kauffman... There are big samples of linen, lots of cotton, some micro suede... Just a great assortment. This wasn't the only one she had - but she let me pick what I wanted for my box full.


Pixie was helping me check it out ;-)
And so, I'm happy. The festival was to end tonight with a tail gate, music, and fireworks at the coliseum - but the weather was iffy. DS was going with friends, so I'll learn tomorrow if it was a go or not.

5 comments:

Gerry said...

Goodness, what a wonderful shopping day for you! It sounds like you had a blast.

Give Pixie a cuddle for me. Enjoy your goodies!

Maddie Can Fly said...

Great stuff! I love the old stamped embroidered items.

allie aller said...

What a fun day and a great score!

Thanks for your very sweet comment on my blog, Charlene... ;-)

~Allie

Susan said...

Wow, what fun! I'm so jealous of your fabric and button finds. =)

MarysMadness said...

I love all of your finds. Lucky girl!